The Benefits of Dry Skin Brushing
The skin is the largest organ in the body! Blocked skin pores can prevent the elimination of toxins and wastes from the body. Dry skin brushing before a shower, which helps to open pores due to the heat, is a great way to aid detoxification. Here are some of the great benefits of dry skin brushing:
– Stimulates the flow of lymph to increase elimination of toxins, and support the immune system
– Stimulates blood circulation to reduce inflammation and pain, as well as enhancing the delivery of nutrients to cells
– Tones the skin and promotes skin renewal
– Has a calming effect to help relieve stress
How to Dry Skin Brush
When dry skin brushing, we are aiming to brush towards areas where lymph can enter into the blood circulation, such as the upper chest and groins, so the toxins can be metabolised and removed.
- Start at the soles of the feet and work up the legs, and circle in towards the groin area.
- Brush from the buttocks around and down to groin area.
- Next, brush from the naval downwards towards the groin, and then from the naval upwards towards the upper chest.
- Brush from the palms of hands up the arms and across the front of the shoulder.
- Then brush upwards along the back, over the shoulders and brush from the neck downwards.
*Use a softer bristled brush if doing your face and never brush broken, delicate or irritated skin.
Do this for 5 minutes daily, ideally before showering, using a skin brush with medium to hard ‘natural’ bristles or a ‘loofah’.
Apply firm (but not harsh) strokes (10 – 15cm long), or small circular movements. As a general rule of thumb, strokes should move in the direction of the heart (in line with the route of lymph drainage). We brush towards clusters of lymph nodes.
After dry skin brushing, the skin can be red and warm, but shouldn’t be sore.
What to use?
There are various types of dry skin brushes that you can use. I personally like the smaller size that fits into the palm. You can also get ones with longer handles to reach down the back (if you wish to bring strokes up the back on over the shoulder down towards the upper chest lymph nodes). Always opt for natural bristle fibres with wooden or bamboo handles.
If your goal is to improve circulation and boost the immune system, try doing this alongside a daily shot of my Immune Boosting drink!
Find out more about nutritional therapy and practices for better health on my Instagram page .