Veggie butter bean lasagne
Here’s a nice alternative to the lasagne we all grew up on! Don’t get me wrong, I still make a meaty one too but sometimes it’s nice to change it up ?? It’s also beneficial to our health to consume less animal products so maybe try meat-free Mondays or a veggie night once or twice a week!
The most important things to remember here are how easy it is to make your own tomato sauce… (check out the post on Homemade tomato sauce!), make your own white sauce from a roux and add meat and/or veg depending!
Here’s what you need:
- 1/2 cup real butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper
- 1/2 courgette
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 1 Tin butter beans
- 1 Tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 carton/jar of passata
- Fresh basil leaves
How to make white sauce:
This is the basic recipe for white sauce. When you have mastered this, you can start experimenting with cheese and parsley sauces!! ?
1. Measure the same amount of butter to flour. I used 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup flour.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan.
3. Add flour and mix with a whisk to form a roux.
4. Add 1 pint of milk, bit by bit, stirring continuously. It will become really thick and lumpy but don’t panic and just keep whisking! ?
Set this aside when you have a nice smooth sauce.
Next up, the veg and tomato layer!
1. Slice the red and yellow peppers, place on a baking tray with a drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle of salt and pepper. Put these in the oven to roast for approx 30mins.
2. Heat a pan with 1 tsp coconut oil and saute the chopped onions for 4-5 mins then add garlic for another 2-3 mins.
3. Add the chopped courgette and butternut squash, stirring occasionally for 7-8 mins until they are starting to go soft.
4. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, Passata and butter beans. Bring this to the boil and then simmer.
5. While you are waiting, check on the roasted peppers. Chop and add these with some chopped fresh basil.
6. Finally time to layer your lasagne is a large casserole dish!
Tomato and veg sauce, lasagne sheets, white sauce…. and again!
Cover with cheese and bake in the oven for about 20 mins until pasta is soft and cheese has melted!